Adaptation is a response to complexity. It functions very differently depending on an organization's goal.
We frequently adopt to create more resilient programs by anticipating and accommodating change; scale a successful practice within a project; and import a practice that demonstrated success from one project to another.
WHEN CAN SYNTEGRAL’S ASSISTANCE IN ADAPTATION HELP?
- When an activity has been deemed successful and a donor, government or education-focused agency/implementing organization believes the activity—or some component(s) of it—offers a model that should be brought to scale
- At the proposal development stage when a "best practice" or innovative activity is being considered for inclusion, but needs to be tailored to fit organizational capacity and expertise
- During implementation when uncoordinated changes in a program or activity have resulted in reactive, rather than proactive, adaptation. Assistance in such cases is needed to consolidate core gains around a programmatic consensus that keeps objectives intact
- After an activity has been scaled to new sites but its long-term viability is uncertain because the capacity to sustain the adaptation has not been put in place
- When an organization seeks to integrate more complexity-aware and adaptive management approaches but recognizes that the adaptive capacity of the critical personnel is lacking